Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 11, 2012

2/11/2012 raw powerlifting meet

today was a good day.  I competed in the Raw Powerlifting meet held at a friend's crossfit nearby.  There where some really strong competitors there today.  I came into the meet weighting in at 177lbs.  Not to bad, considering I spent the last 2 days just eating and drinking water and taking creatine.  Well anyway I came in feeling good and got started good right out of the gate.  The first lift was the deadlift. I felt great with my first lift of 455lbs so I went up to 480lbs on my second lift.  Again this lift went up rather easily, so myself and the rest of Team Darwin Barbell Club made the executive decision to go for 500lbs.  Now I have attemtped 500lbs before at the F.O.B and got it off the floor say 4inches. So 500lbs was my main goal for the deadlift.  I went up to the bar got ready to lift and got it 3/4 of the way up, but I just felt that I hit a wall and couldn't breakthrough so I had to dump the weight.  I was dissapointed in this because I felt great leading up to the event and based on the way 480 went 500 shouldn't have been too hard, but on the brighter side since the beginning of the 10 week program I did leading up to this meet my deadlift went up 45lbs, not bad.

The next lift was the bench press.  Let me start by saying my bench press sucks ass.  So my goal was a 250lb bench press during training but I had done that and more so I readjusted my goal to 275lbs.  My first lift of 240lbs went up smooth and fast, so I decided to go for 260lbs on my second.  Again on this lift I got it moving and hit a wall.  Kind of pissed about that.  For the 3rd and final lift at the bench I decided to go for 265, why not.  Again same result got it moving and hit a wall, so my final number for bench was 240lbs.

Last lift of the day was back squat.  The goal for today was 440lbs.  I opened up with 405lbs, easy.  Next I went up to 420lbs again easy.  I felt that my second lift was easier than the first because on the first I was pushing a little too much off my toes as opposed to lining everything up off my heels and keeping the bar in line with knees.  So given the first 2 lifts Team Darwin made the executive decision to go for the goal of 440lbs.  Again I got under the bar and squatted, I was 3/4 of the way and that damn wall came out of the nowhere and I just couldn't lock it out.  This pissed me off because I love squatting and I really wanted to get that goal of 440lbs.

Some positives came out of this.  The training program I had been doing worked.  There are some things that need to be worked on in the middle of the range of motion, so the training from this point forward will focus on making it through sticking points, maybe working with more bands, etc.  Plus, I got all new PRs execpt for backsquat so I can work at high percentages and get stronger.  The ones I missed I will make very soon and then I will surpass them.

I want to thank Mr. L, Mr. R, Mr.B, Mr. S for coming down and supporting me.  To Mr. L as always we work best as a team at the F.O.B and it's time to sit down and brainstorm how to get better.  Thanks dad, and my sister her fiance for coming down and watching my lift things up and put things down.

New total is: 1140lbs at body weight of 177lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment